Monday, June 2, 2008

Fun with Yahoo's Babel Fish

Ok, I knew I couldn't stay away very long. I'd like to share with you all a game I play online whenever I'm bored out of my mind and can't think of anything better to do. First, you take a line from a song you like (the more slang in it, the better). Next, you plug that lyric into the Yahoo! Babel Fish text translator (I usually do English to French). Then you copy the translation, paste it into the text box, and translate it back into English. What you get is a beautifully hilarious jumbled version of what the original lyric was.

My personal favorite is from Pulp's "I Spy"--"Grass is something you smoke, birds are something you shag, so take your year in Provence and shove it up your ass."

After the French translation back into English, this is what we are left with: "Turf is something which you smoke, the birds are something you shake, thus take your year in Provence and push-that to the top of your ESA."

The line was much funnier when it was run through Altavista, but the Yahoo! crew still manages to butcher it splendidly.

Also, here is the butchered translation of the opening lines to the Buzzcocks' "Orgasm Addict":
"You l' tested just for once, noted qu' well; it is well for eruptions, but you now found outside that c' is a practice which sticks. and you are a fanatic d' orgasm."

Try it out yourself. Let me know which hilarious linguistic debaucles you encounter!

No comments: