Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Diamond What?!

I've been anticipating this one since March, and it's finally available to us Americans as of today. Yes, boys and girls, Supergrass are at it again with Diamond Hoo Ha! I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but from what I've heard, I'm quite delighted. If you're craving the quirky early 1970s inspired mash up of glam and mod from the Grass's earlier days, though, I think you'll be disappointed with this release. If you were to put Supergrass in a 70s glam rock continuum, you could say their early days were more Cockney Rebel, but they're more on the Iggy Pop end now that they've reached adolescence (yes, Supergrass is 15 years old. Jesus Christ). Their signature ability to weave a catchy pop-tune into a rock song is still present, and this album isn't as raw as Mr. Pop by any means, but it is more narrowly a rock album than anything they have previously released. It sounds like something my dad would have listened to in high school, but that's not a bad thing. I dare say that it could easily have mass American mainstream appeal with the popularily of The Raconteurs in recent years, so we'll see what happens. It's no Life on Other Planets, but it's a good change of pace.

On a related new release note, I still haven't heard the new Coldplay. I guess since I use Microsoft and not Apple for my music, I may be waiting for a while. But that's ok. I will not break down and buy it, I will not break down and buy it, I will not break down and buy it...

No comments: