Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fluffy Post

In light of my recent angry posts, tonight/this morning I have decided to forget about the big, ugly world out there and take you all on a video-filled journey through the world of Neil Hannon and The Divine Comedy. May music warm your souls, my friends. Goodnight!



This video alone demonstrates why this is my favorite band. It's silly, it's smart, it's catchy. Perfect. "Trafalgar" was written as a joke of sorts, in Neil Hannon's attempt to show BBC viewers how to compose a perfect Eurovision song:




The next clip is taken from the Father Ted episode 'Song for Ireland.' The song was in reality composed by Neil Hannon, but in the episode, Fathers Ted & Dougal came up with this ditty to win the Eurovision song contest for Ireland. The "My Lovely Horse" video comes to us courtesy of Father Dougal's fucked-up dreams. I've seen this countless times, but I can't stop laughing at the psychedlic horse head at the end of the video:




The next song is a cover of a rock song that was very popular a few years back. When I saw The Divine Comedy in 2004, Neil told us this exact same story as he's going to tell in the video. I was thrilled (the brooding gaze... the cheek bones... it kills me). I don't want to ruin the "punchline," so check it out and enjoy:




Finally, this song is the culmination of everything this band is. "Tonight We Fly" is arguably one of the most beautiful pop songs ever composed, and I am putting it in writing that it's to be played at my funeral, right after the champagne flutes and cigarettes are handed out. 'This life is the best we've ever had':


2 comments:

Jojo said...

Will the champagne at your funeral be Andre or will you demand the really good stuff? ;)

Kate said...

Only Cristal for my mourners!